Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ten proofreading tips

As I always preach, throwing words on a page is not enough; they have to be error free. Now, I’ll admit I make mistakes. The important thing is to keep these mistakes to a minimum. I’m not a proofreader, when I need my work to be checked I turn my pages over to http://tinyurl.com/34jghl/. They’re professionals and they provide error free pages to make your work more professional and credible. However, I believe that everyone should have some basic proofreading knowledge.

  1. Be consistent ex. If you hyphenate “full-time” on page one you shouldn’t spell it “full time” without a hyphen later.
  2. You achieve an accurate and consistent finished product when you proofread in stages.
  3. Print out what need to proofread if you are working on the computer.
  4. Be comfortable when you proofread.
  5. Ask someone else to look over your work when possible.
  6. If you repeatedly read over sentences because it doesn’t sound correct, stop and read it out loud.
  7. Create a style sheet.
  8. Any word that causes you to wonder whether it is spelled correctly needs to be looked up.
  9. Read each word out loud individually then read it out loud to be sure it fits in the sentence.
  10. Stick with one dictionary to insure a consistent model to follow.

Once again I recommend visiting Scribendi at http://tinyurl.com/34jghl/, when you need something proofread. They’re inexpensive and very professional.

1 comment:

editing service said...

Good proofreading understanding is efficacious to the author. Writing and grammar mistakes can occur subconsciously. Comprehending the proper proofreading techniques is vital to working skillfully.